Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Hedwig-ish Owl



Here she is! I think she's cute, but she could be better.
In the pattern, they clearly state that the yarn does not have to be the same gauge as the recommended yarn to make an owl, and that using thinner/thicker yarn will just change the size of your owl. THEY LIED! The yarn I used was really a lot thinner than the recommended yarn for Errol, but I figured it would work. I had a hell of a time getting this thing sewn together! The base piece was HUGE! I had to fold it in half to sew it on! And the beak!! It's HUGE too! The yarn I used for the beak is the same gauge as the rest of the owl, so it should be proportional right? WRONG!
But I'm pleased. I think it's cute, but next time, I'm definitely getting the recommended yarn!

Also, here's the scarf, just a few inches from being done.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Why am I not showing it off better? I'm sick, and in my pajamas...that's why!

I think I'm taking a break from Christmas knitting, and getting started on....MY FIRST WEARABLE! My mom mentioned paying for half of the yarn needed for my House Sweater as a birthday present! I've looked into some of the yarn recommended in the comment on my last post (thanks Samantha!), and it's definitely more affordable.
I'm hoping to cast on in a couple of weeks.

Oh, and you know what else is coming? My first pattern! I'm just hoping I typed it up right and there's no mistakes, but it's going to be free, so I'm sure it'll be fine.

Current WIPs:

Aunt's Scarf

2 comments:

Claudia Assencao said...

I know the feeling!! The first hat I made was HUGE on me!! LOL I had to fold it in half then fold it som more to wear it!!!! Dont feel bad cause you finished it!!!! =)

Tina in Wonderland said...

I think your owl is cute! Great job on your cable wallet pattern, too! Looks good!

Hope you're feeling better soon!